Anyway, here is my recipe for last Friday:
Date and Walnut Scone Ring:
2 cups of SR flour
1/4 tsp of salt
3 tbs of butter
2 tbs of caster sugar
1 cup of milk (approximately)
1 cup of dates, chopped
Few drops of lemon juice
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
1 tbs caster sugar
1tbs of warm/hot water
- Place dates in a saucepan with the lemon juice and teh 1/2 cup of water. Cook until the mixture is of spreading consistency (basically, until almost all of the water has evaporated). Allow to cool.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl; rub the butter into the flour with the tips of your fingers.
- Beat the egg and sugar together and then add the milk; beat lightly until combined. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix to a moist dough - you may need to add more flour.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Roll out into a rectangle approximately 30 x 20cm. Spread the date mixture to within 2 cm of edge.
- Roll up like a swiss roll, place on a greased tray, twist into a ring, moisten the ends and join.
- Cut 2/3 of the way through the ring at 2.5 cm intervals and turn each section slightly onto its side.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with the nuts. Bake at 160/170C for 30 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar in the water, and brush this glaze over the ring as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Serve warm or cold with butter :)