Tuesday 13 November 2012

Pink Raspberry Lemonade


So in my mind, before I came to Germany, I was like, "I can totally take pictures of food and things and be all artsy and put it on my blog and things!"
And have I done that?
Hmm?
Nope.
I've taken photos, yes, but most of them are the regular touristy sort of photos that have no significance unless you were actually there. Which, for you guys, is a little unfortunate.
However, Germany is AMAZING. I can't say it's exactly what I expected (mainly because I had no idea what to expect), but I love the weather (apart from the fact that I have to get up when it's dark), all the old things to see (200 years to them is not old, by the way), and the food is (generally) awesome - pretty much the regular stereotype minus the sauerkraut. Why is it that Germans don't eat sauerkraut?
I've basically eaten a lot of bread, sausages, potatoes and cheese; however, I declined the liver paste and the raw pork mince for my sandwich. That was just a little too far.
It's definitely...different...to Australia, but a good different. I know when I get back and people ask me how it was, there'll be far too much for me to tell and I'll probably just reply with "awesome", but trust me when I say, it's really awesome here ;)

Now, onto what I was originally going to post about (before I got sidetracked). A day or two before I left for Germany, I made raspberry lemonade. I don't really have a whole heap to say about it, but it tasted pretty good. I mean, I'm sort of cold right now and could go for some hot chocolate, but for all of you who are still in the southern hemisphere...well, I'll take a punt and guess that it's a little warm? Because if it is, you'll want this lemonade. It's seriously good.

Pink Raspberry Lemonade
For the raspberry syrup:
3/4 cup of raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup of sugar
2/3 cup of water

For the lemonade:
6 cups of cold water or soda water
1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Ice
  1. Place the raspberries, sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium/high heat, and bring to the boil. Stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat until it is barely simmering, and continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes, or until the raspberries are beginning to fall apart.
  2. Place a fine mesh strainer over a glass or heat-proof bowl. Once the raspberries are finished, pour them through the strainer and press with a spoon to remove all the liquid. Discard the seeds/solids. Let the mixture cool slightly, then place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or until completely cold.
  3. Once cold, put the raspberry syrup into a large jug, and add the lemon juice and water/soda water. Stir to combine, and serve with ice cubes and a garnish of lemon slices or raspberries.
See? Not so hard, after all...
;)




2 comments:

  1. That lemonade looks so good...I will DEFINITELY try it, Kenz!!
    I thought you'd find Germany awesome and amazing, no doubt it is. I so cannot wait until I go in grade twelve! You've taken lots of photos I hope? Post them on here won't you? Are you actually back yet, or still over there?
    Miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken heaps of photos, yes ;) I'm still over here...I've got another three-and-a-bit weeks left with my school, and then 10 or so days with Mum. You'll have so much fun when you come over!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis